[Namron] Re: [Ansteorra] Newcomers

R. Welch rose_welch at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 21:51:14 PST 2004

I'm definitely game. However, I do think that Pooky's idea about putting the Hospitalier's information instead of each individual's is a good one. The Hospitaliter (If willing.) can keep the list and pass the information on to those who ask. We would still need a list in the front pocket of the book but just of the various Hospitaliter's information, newcomer sites, and maybe the names of a few books that might be helpful.

Also, maybe we could break it up into two sections... Those activities that have a set gathering (Such as scroll painting, heavy/light fighting, herbal guild, populace...) and those that are more solitary but that someone might be interested in (Bardic, loom weaving, making chainmail, woodwork...).

I have several friends that I think would really enjoy the SCA but when they ask me what we do, I don't really have an answer for them. I tell them what areas I'm interested in and they kind of 'bleh' at me. I know that if I could drag 'em to an event, they'd enjoy it and come back for more but no one really wants to take off work, spend twenty or thirty bucks, and wear someone else's funny clothing for several days on a bleh kind of interest. I know if I could hand 'em a book and say, 'This is what alot of us enjoy doing' they'd find many things that they'd enjoy that I just don't know much about...

I think a good way to start would be to ask the list to write down five activities that they enjoy within the SCA. We could also take a notebook to populace and set it on a table near the entrance and ask everyone who has a moment to do the same. Obviously, we'd get alot of repeats but I think we'd get alot of the more interesting specialities, also. Once we have that we can pinpoint who knows a bit about it (Those areas that we don't know about, that is.) and ask them to take a minute to write (Or dictate for that matter. LOL) a paragraph about it.

I have a few more ideas but it's late so I'll have to write them up in the morning. :) Feel free to critique all of the above and tweak it to your heart's content. You seem to have some pretty awesome ideas. :)

Rose

WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL*

*Not available to  all residents. Offer may vary in some areas. Other
restrictions may apply.  See Congressional Records, Florida voter
registration procedures, and Office of Homeland Security for details...