[Namron] Re: Newbies and other issues

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at charter.net
Fri Dec 10 22:22:08 PST 2004

I take newcomers under my wing from time to time. I have a couple now, as a matter of fact. I try not to be overly pushy with people on issues, offering a hand of guidance rather than one of an iron will. That being said, I try to help people on their journey rather than beat them into submission. Of course, I am but a newbie myself, at 4 years in the SCA... with a well-developed but somewhat controversial personna. I try to help people who have interests similar to my own, because it's alot easier that way. I do not actively volunteer for the "mentor program" because I feel that I am not an appropriate person to council other people in the ways of the SCA. But if someone comes to me for help, or has a question about something that I know about, I try to help them the best I can... usually even if I do not particularly care for the person, and I do so in the Mundane life as well as the SCA. That's just the kind of person I am. I like to help people, and much of the time I do so, even when it's to my own detriment.

I, for one, sympathize with the hospitalers. I have been an officer... I know what it's like. You can never please everyone, by the very nature of being an officer. Sometimes, it seems you cannot please ANYONE. Plus, I've noticed alot of people being thrust into office with no training and are expected to do a 100% correct job 100% of the time, are supposed to have psychic powers, and are supposed to be able to snap their fingers and make everyone happy. This simply cannot be. If you have a problem with the way someone's doing an office... TALK TO THEM. OFFER THEM ADVICE. Don't complain to them that they *need* to do this, that, or the other, and for God's sake don't whine behind their back about what a "terrible" job they are doing. HELP eachother out instead of complaining and pointing fingers. If you're not willing to help in any way, whether it be advice, or actually helping with something, then stay out of it. That's my two shillings on the issue. These women who have stepped in to do a job that most people don't really *want* to do are doing, from what I can see and hear of, a pretty good job considering. Might think about trying *not* to run people off.

Duncan