[Namron] Re: [Ansteorra] Newcomers

bobby harlow ironstorm34 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 23:06:30 PST 2004

Very well put,however you exclude one important factor.We recognize new
faces in the groups,introduce ourselves,etc,etc.The one thing we cannot do
is read minds.If the "newcomer"doesnt ask,how can we provide an answer?
       I go out of my way to make newcomers feel welcome every time,as do
many others in Namron and Skarrgard.As for the fancy words and who is
attached to them,that we can help with.We take them to that personwith the
fancy title and that solves a problem.
       I,for one,can't take each person by the hand and guide them through
thier first years in the SCA.That is something they have to do themselves.I
will,however,help as much as I can.The SCA,like pretty much everything else
in life,is an on-going lesson.If you don't ask,I don't know what to answer
you with.Nor does anyone else.
       In fact,I'll give you a shining example of a newcomer and his
success:Herr Wolfgang.I was on him for years to join the SCA.He finally
showed up to a meeting and wham!!!! he was on his way.He has earned a good
name,a good reputation and a home within the Barony of Namron in a very
short time as the SCA goes.And he knew absolutely nothing about the SCA
other than the fact that I liked it and thought it was fun.Even moreso he is
a success because all I told him is what we were,not much else,and he took
it on himself to learn about us.
       It isn't up to me to make sure everyone else has fun in the SCA.The
most that should be asked of anyone in the SCA is simple,follow the laws of
the society and your kingdom,play your game your way and try not to ruin
anyone else's game.That is why we have the office of hospitaller.THAT person
has the job of welcoming the newcomers to any group.And SHOULD point them in
the right direction of their interests,whatever the may be.Quite frankly,I
am tired of being lumped into the stereotype of the SCAer that goes out of
his way to make sure a newcomer HAS to get a little tiffed before we do
anything to make them feel  welcome.It downright irritates me.
   I can give an even more glaring example:ME.I have called many kingdoms
and many groups home.More than I would care to admit.I am still welcome
in,and still call them ALL home in one way or another.I was new to all of
them at one point in time or another.I never used the excuses of"everyone
knows everyone except me" to not accept personal responsibility to learn
about the group I was new to,or to learn about the SCA.As for "cracking the
shell "and" a fear of commiting a faux pas",that is a personal issue.One's
own fears are at fault,NOT the group of which they wish to become a part.As
I said before,we can't read minds.
       And just so you know,the idea of the mentoring program is alive and
well in our little Incipient Canton of Skarrgard.I,personally, have taken
two young men under my wing to teach them about the SCA,and a third is
starting to huddle about my wingtips.My lady,Sayiddah Fayidah,has taken two
young ladies under her wing as well.I wouldthink that qualifies the
mentoring program as alive and well and not stopped at a discussion or two.
        And as for not knowing what to ask,neither do we old timers.I am
firm beliver that the only stupid question is the one not asked.I can't
speak for anyone else on that matter,but you have to ask SOMETHING,so that
we know there is a question at all.As for a newcomers"handbook",there is a
newcomers guide on the SCA webpage.And it has been there for years.As for
who does what in which job,there is also a handbook for evey SCA office on
the SCA webpage.So there are resources     to find these things if you
really want to look for them.One might try looking a bit harder for the
answers to questions before pointing fingers.So,please don't lump us all
together in that old comfortable SCA category.
                              Lord Halldor the Mad Jester
                              (quietly putting away the soap box)