[Namron] Re: [Ansteorra] Newcomers

R. Welch rose_welch at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 21:22:51 PST 2004

I think that it would be really terrific if we had a catalogue, so to speak of SCA activities. (Kind of like the books that colleges and vocational schools put out of all of the classes you can take.) Just the name of each subject, a short paragraph describing it (In language that newbies can understand.), and the name and telephone number, E-mail address, or the publication name where you can get more information about it. Such as:

Light Fighting - John Doe, Rapier Marshall, 580.555.1234

Sport involving attack and defense with a light sword, specifically a foil, épée, or sabre such as the fighting displayed in The Three Musketeers, The Man In The Iron Mask, or Pirates of the Caribbean.

But not like:

"The Arte of Defence was studied and taught by masters in the late 15th and 16th Centuries. The most famous of the teachers typically came from Italy. Until the advent of the smallsword and the French schools of fence, the Italians and to a lesser degree the Spanish, enjoyed the role of the most sought after teachers of the Arte of Defence.

The English at the end of the 16th Century followed the continental fencers in taking on the use of the rapier. In defense of English technique, George Silver published a treatise called the Paradoxes of Defence. This treatise was used to espouse the use of the English weapons and to downplay the use of the rapier. Silver hated the Italians and Spanish and made sure that his readers knew that these styles were more dangerous for the user than good English practices. He also wrote a treatise on his Paradoxes..........."

The second example is great for someone who has attended a practice or so and knows that they're interested. The first, however, is much less intimidating to the newcomer.

Maybe we could have those who have been recognized in certain areas take a few minutes to write a paragraph about it? Such as someone who's really good at scroll-painting, a Knight's Marshall for fighting, a brewer for brewing and so on... That way no one person has to know about every little enjoyable SCA activity that a newcomer might be interested in...

If this is a good idea, I'm be glad to help implement it, or do it myself if need be. :) A 'catalogue' is something that we have in the mundane world that a newcomer understand how to use (Not all of us are Internet and Dewey Decimal-sav vy.) and not feel shy or embarrassed with. :)

Anyway, that was just my two cents...

Rose