[Namron] Newcomers

Jenn jgypsee1 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 11:17:48 PST 2004

Greetings good gentles of Namron and any other lurking SCAdians,

I have been reading the posts and thinking back on my personal experiences in Namron and Weisenfeuer.  I have always felt welcome in the Namron Barony, even though I haven't found my calling yet and struggle to find that niche where I can earn the AOA and give to the Barony who brings peace and contentment to my busy life.

I have heard many great ideas and formulated one of my own.  One thing I was wondering is if we should actually organize one of the Pop meetings each month to include an item on the agenda for Newcomers.  I would love to have had an opportunity to have introductions to the other newcomers in the society and maybe set up some informal get togethers to actually learn some of these things first hand.  I don't see this as a full blown organization, just the Hospitalier or any other officers sitting at a table at Buzz's for a few minutes after the pop meeting to answer questions and to personally meet any newcomers and for a place for the Newcomers to be greeted or meet each other.

My definition of a Newcomer: a person who is still struggling to find a place and figure out a way to find out information.

I have been in the Barony for over 2 years now and still struggle.  I actually live in Weisenfeuer, but find my home is Namron.  I want to participate more, but find that mundane life gets in the way.  I do what I can to introduce others to the life of the SCA and have succeeded with a few folks, including my husband.  I am still working on my step daughter.

I also think that we need more outreach at events.  An actual table set up somewhere at the event specifically posted for Newcomers.  A place with a wealth of information available and some folks to ask those "embarrassing" questions.  I like the idea of a pamphlet, but I know that this is a lot of work.  Maybe even a monthly or quarterly class hosted by the Hospitalier for those with questions.  These are just my ramblings.  I would love to help with things now that I have pitched in my two cents.

Genevieve du Faucon
mka Jenn Haxton