[Namron] Not cloaks, but arasaid.

Susan O'Neal catmafia at direcway.com
Thu Feb 12 01:14:18 PST 2004

At 12:37 PM 2/11/2004, you wrote:
>Am I correct in my understanding that an arasaid is shaped like a rather
>large tablecloth? I need to figure out how to sew it so that I can get
>someone to help me put it on at Skarrgard.
>Thanks!
>Grà inne

Trying to remember what all I was taught about these.  I just had a long
length of plaid wool.  I picked two points about 1/3 of the way in and took
those and pinned them to the front of my dress with broaches or with just
one broach in the middle-but you need a longer length of material for this
to be comfortable..  Then I belted the rest of it and gently pleated that
around-the width of the cloth will determine how far it falls.  As long as
it isn't fridgid cold, this is nice, you can pull the loose ends up and
around you for more warmth.  Also, if you have enough of it, the piece
right behind your head can be pulled up over it if it starts raining.

Here is a picture you can look at,
http://www.clangregor.org/history-tartan-women3.html

Hope this helps,
Susan