[Namron] Brewing

Barat barat at cox.net
Sun Jan 4 12:38:29 PST 2004

Fermenting mead smells wonderful. A bit yeasty with a slight acid tang.

In general a fermenting mead won't overflow the fermenter and blow mead
out the air lock. Most mead fermentations aren't that energetic –
unlike beers which will quite often ferment so vigorously they blow
foam through the airlock. A fruit mead can, and quite often will
overflow the fermenter. Also, with a fruit mead there is a significant
chance that the fruit can clog up the airlock. If that happens pressure
will build up in the fermenter until the airlock and fruit will be blow
out all over the place. So when you do a fruit mead keep an eye on it
and make sure that the airlock does not get clogged.

Remember, if you don't add the yeast energizer and yeast nutrient (or
add fruit) the mead will ferment so sluggishly I can take years to
ferment to completion.

H.L. Barat FitzWalter Reynolds
M.K.A. Stephen Pursley
Barony of Namron