[Namron] Speaking on general issues...

Jennene Stanley mooharpist at cox.net
Wed Oct 20 10:47:43 PDT 2004

Greetings on a Wednesday, (don't forget charter painting tonight)

    I've been playing this game for going on 20 years now. I have been
entourage for 6 crown reigns and have seen more then my fair share of
politics. I've been in the middle of some bruhahas when I have had to
stand up for what I believe is right. It has been proven in
interpersonal studies, that when a group grows more then 13 members then
sub-groups form. When you have more then one person then you will have
politics. That is a fact of human relations. Nobody is going to "get
along" with everybody. To expect this is unrealistic and down right naive.

    There are many facets to the politics. Unfortunately it is very easy
to sit in the safety of one's home and hidden behind a computer screen.
It has been my experience that people will say on list not what they
would say to a real person. (and before anybody say that I fall in this
category... don't go there. I do speak my mind to peoples' face and have
been labeled a "trouble-maker" more then one time for it). The list is
*NOT* the SCA. It is not even a *fraction* of the SCA. Those who think
otherwise need to reevaluate their priorities. (i.e. Get a Life!)

    So to keep everybody happy does this mean that I must tolerate
everyone? Does this mean I must play the hypocrite and smile false
greetings to those who have wronged me and others? The fact is that this
organization attracts more then our fair share of people that have some
serious issues and are less then honorable. Some of these people are
pretty benign and do not constitute a real danger, others are not. I
believe in giving a person the "benefit of the doubt" and giving a
"second chance". I do not believe in giving a person a 8th ,9th,10th...
chance when their actions show a pattern of behavior that is harmful to
the group and individuals or in some cases down right dangerous. It is a
fact that there are some people out there who relish the idea of hurting
people. There are people who are abusive. There are people who delight
in breaking up relationships because it somehow bolsters their lack of
self esteem.  I do not tolerate those who hurt me and others. Period.
The SCA does not tolerate such people. Just a couple of months ago the
SCA corporate came out with a statement condemning a man (in East
Kingdom) who was convicted of molesting children. If he moved here and
started playing here should we tolerate him? Others bring foulness to
our group and from time to time we have to deal with it. That is another
fact of life.

    I am a sheltered person and work very hard to stay that way. Thomas
(Brad) and I both work our patootees off at our real life jobs so we can
enjoy playing. There are some things in this world that I will not
tolerate and that is that. No amount of "pie" or "let's get along" is
going to change that. Period.

About pirates.

    Yes, they are period. So is the black plague and other nasties. I
have no issue with a person playing a pirate. But they have to take in
the fact that pirates were not accepted by gentle folk (privateers are a
different matter... sorta). Pirates were not honorable. They stole from
others, killed people and were the scourge of the sea. Pirates were the
period version of our modern day terrorists.  If you want to play such a
person then you must expect others to treat you as they would have in
period. You cannot have have your cake and eat it too.

About newcomers-

One of the things I have always tried to do is welcome newbies. (the Moo
Manor is a SCA-student halfway house). I wish we could recruit more
people. Fresh blood and new ideas are the future of our organization. We
need new people.

I want to have fun. And 90% of the time I do not breathe fire. I get out
my dresses and go "moo", I have my painting sessions, siege meetings and
House Moo parties.  BUT I will not apologize for the other 10%. I do not
start fights but, by God, I will finish them.  I am human. I have my
opinions and am not afraid to voice them here.

HL Anya Gordon Lamont
a.k.a (in my very full real life)

--
Jennene Stanley
  "There is nothing like an appeal to honor. It is a virtue that all