[Namron] pirate bashing turns personal

bobby harlow ironstorm34 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:25:46 PDT 2004

        ok,enough already.shall we go in to legal issues here?it's bad
enough that someone's persona is being downgraded,their activities condemned
in this,a GAME,but when it comes to theft and burglary,and trespassing,that
is beyond far enough.
        i held my tongue a bit too long i think.the incident was,and
appropriately so,handled by those that needed to handle it.but,as so often
happens,a band wagon went by and every one jumped on.and now someone(it
appears) has been run off for a perfectly legitimate mistake.i say
again,mistake.do any of you really think barat and meruad were calm when
they dealt with duncan??i looked and he didnt have much butt left after
that,not nearly enough for all of the people that have been nibbling at it
to even get a taste.
        he tolerated to an extent someone trespassing on his property(going
into his yurt),tolerated someone burglarizing said property,and stealing his
cannons.it was only after all the attacks on himself,his ship(house),and his
persona that he decided to fight back.i think he handled himself pretty
well.
         unfortunately it is like a castle wall against a trebuchet when 10
people decide to get on said band wagon.repeatedly battered,even stone walls
have to fall.i ask you to think about this and you dont have to answer to me
or anyone for that matter,save yourself: is this GAME worth running someone
off for an honest mistake?and before we start pointing fingers,yet again
another to answer for yourself: have you played your ENTIRE time in the SCA
and NOT made a disastrous mistake? i'd love to think i have never made
any,but alas,i refuse to lie to myself.i KNOW i have gone beyond faux pas in
my SCA life.yet another: have i run someone off because they werent playing
the game as i thought it should be played? as i said before,you need not
answer these questions to anyone save yourself.
      and before anyone gets to thinking i am defending his mistake,i am
not.i am defending him.like he said,this is the society of creative
anachronisms,not the society for compulsive authenticity.with that in mind
yet another question comes to mind to answer to yourself:what makes your way
of playing the game better than mine?do we all think our way is the only
way?i know i am guilty of that from time to time when it comes to the norse
persona i have chosen.and that is entirely too ironic considering how often
i DONT dress or act  as a norse noble.
        if you wonder why it got personal and he got defensive and went on
the offensive.look around,he had 10 people coming at him and i am sure he
felt backed in to a corner,and even my cowardly tail end will come out of a
corner fighting if there is no other way out of said corner.are you really
surprised by him coming out of that corner ready for battle?and as far it
becoming personal,it became personal not when he decided to fight back,but
when his privacy was invaded when someone stole his cannons from inside his
personal abode(his yurt).i can think of nothing more personal in this
situation than that.
       now that i have had my say,i say only one more thing,stop with the
duncan bashing,if you think he hasnt paid enough for it,consider doing the
same thing he did,and having barat,and meraud,not to mention tadgh get on
you at the same time.if you relish that thought i'll loan you one of MY
cannons to fire.