[Namron] Medieval Club @ ASTEC Charter Schools

cgehringer cgehringer at astec-inc.org
Tue Oct 12 09:22:45 PDT 2004

To ALL,

(This missive was originally intended for various individuals and was
originally sent on 9/23/04 and again on 10/5/04.  It was written before I
knew of the Barony e-mail list.  The e-mail list now seems to be the best
method of presenting the information.)

Greetings and Salutations.  I hope that this e-mail finds you all well.

    I apologise that I did not get this information to you and contact you
all about a week earlier, but I will simply try and move onward from today
rather than dwell on the misspent time of the past.

    There are about 20-30 students who have shown interest in the Medieval
club.  About 20-25 have shown up at the last 4 meetings.  The first meeting
was to advise the students about what they were "getting themselves into", so
to speak.  The second meeting was an explanation of the origins, history, and
intent of the SCA.  (I am the person who did the sociological survey of the
SCA about 15 years ago For my Senior Honors Thesis at the University of
Tulsa.)  It is time to start scheduling guests to arrive and present
information.
    If you could start contacting individuals who you know and identify
what and when they may be available to present and then send that information
to me, I can begin constructing a master calander.  When sending information
identifying a presenter, please include the following:

                       Mundane Name
                       SCA Name
                       e-mail address
                       daytime contact phone #
                       Topic(s) of presentation(s)
                       Materials/fee(s)
                       Date(s) available

    The schools are closed Thursday 10/21/04, 11/25/04, and 12/23/04 this
semester.  There may be a few additional days when the meetings are cancelled
for one reason or another and I will announce those as they come up.
    (My thoughts - worry about next semester after this one is figured out.)

   The students are 6th-11th grade level, approximately 13-17 years old and
it is a "School" club.  Please keep that in mind when discussing potential
presentations with your contacts.
   All of the  Medieval club sessions are from 3:30pm until 5:00pm on every
Thursday of the month that school is in session.  The school is located at
Shepherd Mall on NW 23rd St. in OKC between May and Penn. Aves.  The site of
the presentations is ASTEC Charter Middle School located at the far south
east end of the mall.  Easiest entry to park near the school is off of NW
23rd st.  There is an enclosed courtyard that may be used for fighting
demonstrations or other outside activities - weather permitting.  There is
also a classroom, #11, assigned for us to use.  It has 1 white board and I
can have an overhead projector in the room if needed.  More sophisticated
presentation equipment - vcr/TV, computer projection system, etc. I may be
able to arrange given enough forwarning.

    The main theme of ASTEC's education philosophy is to have as much hands
on activities as possible, so if there is any way to incorporate a hands on
activity into the presentations, it would be greatly appreciated and WELL
received.  The students have been advised that there may be additional
costs/fees depending on the nature of the presentations to cover materials
cost.  Please be sure and include that information with the presenter
information.  The students have already begun talking amongst themselves
about fund raisers they can do to subsidize the cost for students who cannot
afford additional fees so that everyone can participate.

    Here is a list of topics the students mentioned during the first meeting
when I asked them what topics they were interested in:

    Archery     Needlework     Leatherwork     Chainmail     Weapons
    Fighting Styles     Engineering     Catapults     Seige Tactics
    Art     Caligraphy     Stained Glass     Heraldry     Geneology
    Languages - Old English, Norse, German, Galic     Jousting
    Combat Tactics     Medieval Movies     Horses-Barding/Tack & Harness
    Heavy & Light weapons combat     Medieval Holidays   FOOD!!!
    Medieval Trivia     Medicine     Politics/Government     Economics
    Falconry     Jewlery     Toture(probably not a good one to choose - But
I told them I would include it)   Pre-Feudal/Feudal Japan
    Medieval games  Medieval Dances     Medieval clothes

As you can see - they were rather curious.

Let me know what you think and if there are any suggestions/problems.  The
next meeting is scheduled for Thursday 10/14/04.  I know this is a short
amount of time, but if there is someone who is able to present this week I
would be more than happy to step aside and let them have the floor.

Thank you for your willingness to help.

Mr. Christopher Gehringer
ASTEC Charter High School
Mathematics Teacher