[Namron] A very Foul thing indeed...

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at charter.net
Tue Oct 19 18:29:20 PDT 2004

I would like to take this time to admit something...

I was wrong for the incident at Protectorate... I wish to state that first and foremost lest anyone forget. I would also like to apologize on behalf of my crew, because they were merely trying to make light of the situation so that we wouldn't be bogged down and downtrodden... it was a mistake, and every human being makes them. I've apologized countless times to many people both directly and in-directly since the event. I even offered the offending cannon (the one we fired off) to HE Ulf as tribute to our apology... That the offending weapon would never again be fired by me or my crew.

I apologize now for the lack of tact shown by a couple members of my crew... not neccesarily for writing the filks about the incident, but for the names mentioned... they could have been written more tactfully and  in better taste, and the problem has been delt with. If you have a problem with it from here on out, you may contact me personally, for I am the Captain of my crew, and as such must accept responsibility for their actions.

Now, for the rest of my letter... It is a very foul thing indeed when a single person tries to exert control over what they think the "dream" should be. If you want to push the issue on the piracy thing, you had BETTER push the issue on everyone else that's not 100%. I will not tolorate you singling out me and my crew because you personally happen to not like pirates. I will not tolorate "bounties" being placed on myself, my crew, or piracy in general just because you happen to not agree with it. There are things I do not agree with in the SCA, and you don't see me going off on a crusade to bring them to an end. As it was stated on my Crew's website: "This is the Society for CREATIVE Anachronism, NOT THE SOCIETY FOR COMPULSIVE ACCURACY. If you are 100% accurate, more power to you. But this incident will be dropped, pure and simple. If you pursure this, you had better be ready for a fight, because I will not tolorate it, period. I will fly what colors I please, where I please, when I please, so long as their Majesties do not order me otherwise. And for your information... our crew is WELL within period. We're not 100% accurate, but we ARE within the Society's timeline. If you don't like it, petition the Crown. Get THEM to talk to the BOD and re-define the SCA's timeline. Oh wait a second... you cant... because as long as there's been ships on the seas, there have been pirates there to take them. And if you get the SCA's timeframe re-set to an age before there were pirates, we'll all be in the stone age.

You may not like my ideals, or my code, but I'm sorry... that's just none of your buisness. I do, however, have a compromise. You back off with your crusade, and I'll not go out of my way to make a presence like we did at Protectorate. You insist on pursuing this idiocy to it's maturity, and I'll fight you tooth and toenail on it until the bitter end, short of Treason to the Crown of Ansteorra. Basically, you mind your own buisness, and I'll mind mine. You know who you are.

Lord Duncan MacNamara
The Infamous Captain of the 'Iron Lotus'
6th Champion of the Black Company

PS. Just a gentle reminder... the filk issue has been dealt with. They're not to be performed, and the author(s) that are under my authority have been chastised. Now I expect some leeway on your end as well.