[Namron] Re: The Black Death

Tonya Seilhan imbri4 at lycos.com
Fri Oct 22 06:38:31 PDT 2004

> Leave the fighting for the field and reach out and
> help someone else have fun, too.  They might be
> grateful.

To quote an old phrase... "Amen Sister, you just said a mouthfull!"  I found the exact same issues when I started.  I did have a friend to help me with the basics, but she was honestly more interested in going off and playing than finding something constructive to do at events.  So out of boredom I pretty much ended up in the kitchen at every event helping with feast.  In fact, I think this Protectorate was the first event in nearly 2 years that I did NOT spend the entire event in the kitchen.. lol.
You are braver than I am. :)  I've been interested in doing some of the things you said that you tried but didn't want to go alone.. even tho I've been playing for 3 years now, I STILL don't know very many folks.. and living in the North as I do.. and not playing with any particular group.. don't have access to SCA things very often other than at events.  I think there needs to be more classes at events to help folks get started in some of the other areas of the SCA than just fighting, waterbearing, and marshalling (not that there is anything wrong with any of these.. I have my marshal card myself. :) )

Hugs!
Ld Elizabeth Forbes