[Namron] Newbies and Hospitaler

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 10:21:59 PDT 2004

There is probably plenty of information out there,like
the books mentioned.  The problem is they have to be
sought out which means you have to know about them in
the first place.  I learned pretty quickly about the
hospitaler, but my understanding (probably
misconception) was that they would assist a newbie in
finding garb so they could attend an event.  Other
than that, I know nothing else about them or their
duties.

>From my mundane job I learned a long time ago that
unless you speak the same language, you may think
there is communication happening when there isn't.  I
work as an advocate in the mental health field.  There
is a plethora of acronyms and lingo that become common
place to people after 2 or 3 years of working in the
field.  But, bring in a brand new parent trying to
access services for his/her child and they don't
understand the gobbledegook being spoken.

Being true to the times of the SCA means that the
terminology used is archaic.  It is supposed to be.
(I have a funny story about archaic language I will
post next.) But, some of us need a translator.  I'm
lucky to have Mike so I can ask, what does a Herald
do?  What does it mean to be a Pelican or a Laurel or
a Knight?  How do the Baron and Baroness get chosen?
How are the King and Queen chosen?  If you aren't a
fighter what other things can you do in the SCA?

I have the added handicap of being hard-of-hearing.
So, some of the places suggested to capture the hearts
of the newbies would I'm sure work for others, but not
for me -- such as populace meetings.  I love the idea
of classes at events.  I do much better in smaller
groups.  I also was finally introduced to this list
and that is where I have found out about some of the
meetings that I have tried out. (And, thanks to the
beautifully humble apology and invitation, will try
some of them again.)

I've been to enough events to recognize faces when I
see them, but there are only a handful of people to
whom I can tie face and name together.  I get
introduced once or twice, but I don't always catch the
name in the loud noisy surrounding, so I smile and nod
because I am too embarrassed to ask the person to
repeat their name for the 6th, 7th, 8th or 9th time.
That's MY hang-up and I own that one and am working on
it.

I operate a LOT by email and surfing the web because I
can read things and not get them wrong like I often do
when hearing.  So, this list, events, and the website
seem like terrific places to let people know about the
language, the art form, the play, the hierarchy, and
more about the SCA.

Perhaps, on the website for Namron, one could list the
officers with not only thier contact information, but
also their job duties and responsibilities.  I've also
been on other list-serves like this one where once a
month or once every two-months the list of resources
was published again in case new people were on the
list that didn't know about them, in case there had
been changes to who did what, etc.  That's also not a
bad idea, but I don't know who would be responsible
for it and I am NOT in the habit of trying to create
extra work for people w/o doing my fair share.

I am extraordinarily grateful to all of you who took
what I said in good faith and understand that I was
trying to improve things and not chastise or hurt
anyone.  I just want to learn how to make this fun for
me  -- and others who aren't veterans at this game.

I will end this post with a huge compliment to the
Barony.  I use a hearing dog and bring her to events.
I never get the grief from the SCA that I get in the
mundane world about having a service dog.  People
sometimes ask, but they certainly don't get ugly about
me having her.  She is so much a part of me that when
I go somewhere w/o her, I feel like I am missing a
limb.  Accepting my service puppy means a great big
bunch to me and is one reason I keep coming back.
Thank you!

Respectfully,

=====
Isobel de Kirkbryde married to a Laurel (Michael Fenwick of Fotheringhay)

Mundanes:  Mike and Melody Andrews