[Namron] Story about archaic language

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 19:21:47 PDT 2004

I promised in my post that I would tell this, then got
distracted and forgot.  Duh!

When Mike and I were planning our wedding, we met with
the priest (Episcopal) for pre-marital counseling and
to decide on the protocol for the service.  There is a
prayerbook written in 1928 which has a lovely service
in it which I wanted to use.  The priest argued with
me.  He said I was mixing the new and the old and they
just didn't go together.  I told him our lifestyles
were the new and the old mixed:

We are a May, September couple with a difference of 14
years between our ages.

We play in the SCA.

He finally acquiesed to most of what we wanted, but
insisted on changing "thereto I plight thee my troth"
to "I pledge my vow."  He said no one in the audience
would know what plighting ones troth meant.  Excuse
me!!

My 93 year old grandmothe was there. She knew.
My 65 year old parents were there.  They knew.
Many of the people who attended were in the SCA.  They
knew.
Those who didn't know were very few and sure as heck
could figure it out from the context.

Well, on the day of rehearsal, we "pledged our vows."
On the day of the real event, Mike was first and then
I followed with the vows.  Mike plighted his troth and
the priest just went on as if he didn't hear it.  Then
I plighted my troth and he stopped.  It took him a
minute to catch his breath.  But, you know, I think
everyone knew what we meant when we plighted the he**
out of our troth!

=====
Isobel de Kirkbryde married to a Laurel (Michael Fenwick of Fotheringhay)

Mundanes:  Mike and Melody Andrews