[Namron] Re: The Black Death... (*long*)

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at charter.net
Wed Oct 20 11:19:15 PDT 2004

Thank you for that song, it was most refreshing. I for one certainly try to
keep an open mind about the SCA, because there is not one single person
that's 100% accurate. The SCA is a melting pot of everything from 600AD to
roughly 1600AD. I say if it looks good, and it's fun, go for it! And that's
what I'm about. I do most of my research online, which is thrown out by some
people simply because it's online, and I can't give reference to a specific
page of a printed book. But the spirit of what I do is simple... I try to
have fun. If some people can't understand or accept what we do, they're the
one with the problem! If they're not having fun, whose fault is it?

The same goes for any household that's having political problems...
ESPECIALLY households... A Household is about comaraderie, friendship, a
group like a family that is supposed to help and support eachother in times
of need. Lately in households I've noticed alot of leadership changes...
alot of in-fighting, and people vying for position like ravenous wolves
fighting over a scrap of meat. All *positions* within a group, whether it be
kingdom right down to household, exists SIMPLY because there is a job, with
work to be done, not neccesarily because the position's illusioned state of
prestige. Too many people fighting over a false sense of power or control...

I posted the long missive I did before, not because I am trying to ruin
anyone's fun, but to illustrate that I will defend my group's right to have
fun! We're not violating any kingdom or society laws, so what was the big
deal? I know of several children who were very happy to have a "pirate camp"
to visit, which was the whole Idea... it was fun... it made people and
children happy, and I'll not let go of that. yeah, we play a bit on the LATE
period side, but I've seen Dons wearing 18th century hats and Vikings
wearing 14th century armor. Romans with purple hair (at Gulf War)...

As for Pirates. Think long and hard about your statements. One nation's
seafaring hero is almost always another nation's pirate. What about Viking?
True, they were more civilized than the general public usually knows about,
but they were STILL pirates. So... do we treat them the same way? of course
not, because our Baron is a Viking. I am about tired of people stereotyping.
I will play the way I wish, and if some people want to stoop to unreasonable
attempts to ruin my fun, it will only fuel my drive further.

"If you want to play such a person then you must expect others to treat you
as they would have in period."

I'm willing to live with that. Expect me to respond to said treatment as I
would have in period. When you find me cornered by the hafla with a (light
fighting style) rapier in hand, because someone laid their hands on me to
detain me against my will, don't throw me off-site. I am no more in the
wrong than the person who laid their hands on me, and if I weren't such a
calm, laid-back, agreeable drunk, that's exactly what would have happened
saturday night at protectorate. (keep in mind, this was a few hours after
the cannon incident, so don't go there) I was drunk when I was hauled
roughly before HE Ulf, and It won't happen again. When I'm of sober mind I
do NOT take someone laying their hands on me that way lightly. And neither
would my personna have in-period. The MacNamaras were notorious for their
fierceness in battle, and for their natural seamanship, as well as for their
temper... I have tried to keep mine throughout this entire shenanigan. But
I'll only be pushed so far. This is a GAME. Have fun, or get out of my face
and let me have mine. And this last rant is not directed at any one person
in particular, I merely quoted HL Anya Gordon Lamont to illustrate a point.

Regards,
Duncan MacNamara, who will not be bullied by one or two people's personal
prejudices.