[Namron] Re: The Black Death... (*long*)

muriel at entelesoft.com muriel at entelesoft.com
Thu Oct 21 19:00:52 PDT 2004

If it is important - if children are in danger, if the dream is in danger,
the information should be both provable and spoken of openly; a fact, not a
whispered opinion that others must share if they want to be part of the
in-crowd.  This is the crux of our "Black Death". I know you are making a
valid point, but arguing semantics with me only avoids the problem.

Here are examples of the things that I hear bandied about as facts (whether
they are or not), and if I don't share the teller's excited faciniation with
these "facts", then I'm just as bad as the awful person they're telling me
about:  the sexual acts of consenting adults, someone grabbing for power in
the barony (how many different people have been the subject of that rumor in
the past 12 months?), pirate personas, people who dislike pirate personas,
whether or not a Peer agrees with them about someone else's work, and many
more.  Its worse than discussing the presidential election with a right-wing
fundamentalist republican and a liberal democrat at the same time.  I don't
hear "Hey, what's your opinion on X?" followed by a constructive
conversation, or even an opportunity to say its none of my business.  I hear
"Oh boy, did you here what X did this time?!?" followed by condescending
looks and rumors* of people talking about me if I don't care what exciting
bad thing someone, sometimes someone I've never even met, did.

And that's just me.  Imagine how it feels to a newbie!  THIS is the problem.
Let's deal with it.

How do we minimize its effects on our Barony?

-Muriel "why do I bother?" ingen Gille Crist

*rumors - they remain "rumors" and not "facts" until someone decides to say
something TO me and not ABOUT me.