[Namron] Hospitaler

cgehringer cgehringer at astec-inc.org
Fri Oct 22 06:56:49 PDT 2004

Enara,

Thank you for your kind words.

To All,

The SCA I remember and fell in love with over twenty years ago was an
organization devoted to two things.  The first was education and research into
primarily western European history.  The second was having fun.  In the course
of pursuing both of those goals, like-minded individuals tended to congregate
together and form artificial “families” or households.  Most “newbies” who
enter the realm of the SCA are introduced to it through a member of one such
sodality or another and traditionally it has fallen on that introductory group
to educate and advise on the “rules of the game.”  However, as we all know
through our own mundane experiences, some teachers are better than others, and
some students are more receptive than others.  To lend uniformity and or
consistency in defining itself to the mundane world, the SCA, or various
groups within the SCA, have published written resources to clarify and
enlighten.  Two such texts, “The Pleasure Book”, and “The Known World
Handbook” immediately come to mind.  If those resources are still available,
perhaps a better course of action than adding additional duties and/or
responsibilities to an existing office, or creating a new group or office,
would be to encourage “newbies” to read such resources and each sodality or
group hospitaler should keep a copy or two available as “loaner” copies.  For
those “newbies” who are not introduced into the SCA by a household or family,
often this is the only source of accurate and reliable information to which
they have access.  If those resources are no longer available, perhaps they
need to be resurrected or new resources need to be written.

Respectfully,

Kristoff von dem Schwarzwald
Formerly of Northkeep

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:40:50 -0700 (PDT), Lea wrote