[Namron] Blow calling

G. Gibeson gurhal at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 1 15:30:48 PDT 2004

Hatur,

As you know we agree in many ways on this subject, and we have talked about
it many times in the past, so this is nothing new between us.

We all seem to agree calibration is very important even if you have to stop
the fight to discuss it like you said.  An open discusion between the
fighters should always be the first step, and should *not* lead to name
calling.

I do not think the issue is pain tolerance or armour padding, though, I
think it is more of a training issue.

Halldor mentioned earlier the ideal of "Hitting hard and calling Light".

This is what I think to be the intent behind those words "Hit hard enough
the blow is noticable by your opponents, and to Call blows good even when
they are lighter than what you would normally throw."

I strongly agree with Halldor on this point, calling a blow is a conscious
choice to either call a blow good or not.  If everyone made an effort to
call blows on the light side of the range, the result would be cleaner more
skilled fighting.

Unfortunatly, that phrase seems to be taken a bit too litterally.  The
trends we have observed are more along the lines of "Call everything light
reguardless of impact, and hit your opponent as hard as you can because he
is calling everything light too."

Where I disagree is on how to handle the situation.  This attitude of "Hit
them harder until they can feel it", is dangerous.  If this is combined with
the attitude of "If hitting them really hard does not work, hit them really
hard in a softer area" it is very dangerous.

It could get some one badly injured and possably killed if struck with a
cranked up blow in a vulnerable area like the throat, neck or along the
spine, even if all the proper equipment is in place.
Accidents after all, do happen.

The fighting standards assume that all fighters are to be wearing a hauberk
over a
padded gambeson, with boiled leather arm and leg defenses and an open-faced
iron helm with a nasal.  It should also be noted, that we are attempting to
re-enact combat by simulating real weapons.

Each fighter is responsable for measuring all incoming blows against this
standard, reguardless of the armour they are actually wearing.  Padding
should not be an issue in calling the blow.  Pain or the lack of pain should
not be an issue in calling the blow.

To quote my wife, Charlie, "It is not a tough-man competition, its a game of
skill and precision".

After all, the goal is not to hurt eachother, is it?

Gavin