[Namron] What is a spang???????

muriel at entelesoft.com muriel at entelesoft.com
Mon Apr 25 18:16:30 PDT 2005

What is a spang, you ask?

Spang basically means "frog", but in terms of Beltane it is a frog doll,
much like a beanie baby.  We have two traditional activities that use
spangs:

1. Spang Decorating:  make a spang out of whatever you want and decorate it
to taste.  Their Excellencies choose the one they like the best.  You can
find the spang pattern on our website at Namron.ansteorra.org under "Events"
and "Beltane".

2. Spang Hewing:  This invovles a spang filled with (non-instant) rice which
is placed in a bucket of water.  One contestant picks up the spang and uses
a stick to hurl (or hew) it at a target holding a hula-hoop and trying to
deserve being hit.  Our own Pooky has volunteered of his own volition (no
that is not redunant). Fun for the whole family!

-Muriel
 Beltane Steward

There are, indeed, two things, knowledge and opinion, of which the one makes
its possessor really to know, the other to be ignorant.
Hippocrates