[Namron] OT: the irony of long hair : common courtesy

liz wilkerson thevintagefloozy at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 21 19:30:52 PST 2005

Please bear with me good gentles. This is a very mild rant a long time in coming and bless her dear heart.. here is my chance...

 I can't count how many times little girls have asked me if I was an angel or a princess, all because of my hair.  I actually know of 2 ladies who wont talk to me because they think I grew my hair out to gain influence in the SCA. Crazy but true. ( The politics of hair???) I've had entire event afternoons ruined due to headaches brought on by someone who wanted to play with my hair and treated me like a nerveless barbie.( what am I going to do? Tell them to stop and leave me alone?)  I have been quite crudely propositioned by no less than 5 men for no other reason than I had long hair.   I've had one gentleman start brushing my hair and quit because he was physically shaking and needed to compose himself.

 Dear lord ... its just hair.

 It's not an accessory. Its a body part.  Just as personal to a woman as any other she has.

So..... Gentlemen - here are a few things you might want  to remember when dealing with a lady with long hair... ( I suppose it would work in the reverse case ladies...)

Offering to spend  private horizontal time with her simply because she has long hair will not win you any points and may get you physically damaged. Most of us didn't grow our hair out to be man bait. Honestly.
Kindly remember that though it may -look- unreal,  it IS attached and pulling on it does indeed hurt.
Long hair isnt community property. I dont know of any lady, myself included, who would reject a request to play with or brush her hair.   But walking up and helping yourself without warning isnt very polite in any situation.
If you have never brushed a lady's hair before, ask her how she wants it done.  As a general rule, be way more gentle than you think you need to be.

Common courtesy please!

I know there are plenty of symbols and images associated with long hair in the SCA. But pretty please remember that there are people attached to the hair. And we're here to play the game and live the Dream like everyone else. Its the same kind of idea as a lady with a well endowed bustline. Please deal with her, not her chest. Please deal with us, not our hair. It's not going to answer you.... but I might :)
  OK ! Rant over! Next rant due in 5 years. Stay tuned!  Now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Love to everyone!
la Beaux
muriel at entelesoft.com wrote:
Several reasons:

1. It was ridiculously long.
2. I really needed to get it trimmed.
3. People are always bothering me: "Why don't you give some of that to me?"
4. It was free (as opposed to at least $12 for a trim)
5. It grows back.