[Namron] Re: period police

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 9 10:41:24 PST 2005

Dear Chass,

Calling this woman a lady should be taken as a sign of
true class on your part.  She certainly has not earned
the title (regardless what any scroll might say about
her).

In my off and on experience in the SCA (around nine
years now, if you count the three year hiatus in
college), I have never once seen anyone be "period
perfect".  Inevitably, there is something everyone has
that is somehow incorrect for the period, even those
of us with history degrees (and I will admit, Late
English Middle Ages is my third concentration on mine,
not my first).

If we were doing things entirely period, there would
be no waterbearer's for fighting in melee/battle
situations, and they certainly wouldn't profer
Gatorade.  Glasses and contacts would be unheard of.
So would the underwear I like to think many of us wear
under our garb.  I would have to leave off my ankle
braces when I was packing for events.  No modern
medicines, no modern foods, and would we be allowed to
cook in modern kitchen to have feasts at our events?

The point is, we are the Society for Creative
ANACHRONISM, and we recreate the period as closely as
we can within reason and within the more pleasant
aspects of the period (not so much the Inquisition,
witch and heretic burnings, or the plague).  The are 9
and 60 ways to play in the SCA, and every single one
of them is right.

So should someone every make such a comment again,
ignore them for the ignoble way they behave and enjoy
yourself.  Its your game as much as theirs and chances
are, they have been out of period at least once today.

In Service,
Aline

Post scriptus- should you wish to see how others have
handled wheelchairs, check out the Florilegium under
the topic, Disabilities,  http://www.florilegium.org/.