[Namron] Dealing with period police

Duncan MacNamara duncan_macnamara at charter.net
Sun Jan 9 10:48:25 PST 2005

Many people do not think my personna itself is period... do I care? no. in
fact, I go out of my way on some things simply because I am antagonistic
like that. Like my earrings... I have somewhere a depiction of Sir Francis
Drake wearing pearl earrings. Mine aren't pearl, but you get the idea. They
can't "prove" that they weren't worn. Or my encampment. If it looks good to
me or my crew, we use it. We don't deliberate in committe for hours about
it's period-ness. The true experience of the SCA isn't about slaving away
for years and years to make sure everything is 100% "period". It's about
having fun in the game, making an "attempt" at pre 17th century costume. if
someone slaps on a tunic and wears modern blue jeans, shoes, etc... they've
still made an attempt, with the tunic.

tell 'em to bugger off.

Do they nitpick at people who use modern coolers to keep their food from
spoiling at events? No.
What about the cars you see littering event sites? yes, they get asked to
move them, but sometimes they are a neccesity.

This *is* a GAME. Your wheelchair is as much a neccesity as someone else's
glasses (which some styles of glasses are period)... or that one Knight I've
seen that has to use the crutch... I count you as a friend and would be
remiss at not seeing you at events.

Perhaps the person has tourettes syndrome... you know, the one where you
spout off random obscene things?

In any case, you are *always* welcome at my encampment.

Lord Duncan MacNamara
Captain of the Iron Lotus
6th Champion of the Black Company
Sometimes referred to as "the Pirate" or "crazy Duncan"