[Namron] sidesword experiment.

sirocco ladysirocco at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 14:22:36 PST 2005

  greetings,
 well we have always made them nervous when we have
just too much fun....oh well.....if you want to show
your support and put your .2 cents in heres the
info....its not over yet so be nice.............and
try to be constructive
  things like this take time....

The Sidesword experiment that our kingdom has been
participating in for
the past
3+ years is now halted.  The SEM has called a halt to
the Sidesword
Experiment
Society wide.

This does not necessarily mean an end to Sidesword.
The experiment is
currently
undergoing an re-evaluation period that will last
somewhere between 90
and 180
days.

The Sidesword experiment was an experiment designed to
try and allow
feasible
research and study into historically documentable
civilian combat
within an SCA
context.  Many of the period manuals include the use
of percussive cuts
and the
Sidesword experiment did have a focus to develop
armouring, weapon, and
authorization standards needed to accomplish this.

We have had a good core group participating in this
experiment in
Ansteorra.
Several demos have been held over the past few years
within the
kingdom.  The
response that we have seen seems to indicate that
there is a
significant amount
of interest in this sort of active research.

During the re-evaluation period, commentary has been
requested from all
the
kingdoms that have been involved in the experiment.

If you have any comments, either favorable and
supportive of continuing
this
sort of program, or even if you have concerns or
issues, please take
this time
to write and let your voice be heard.

Comments should be addressed to Baron Aedan Aylwyn,
the Society Rapier
Marshal
at : rapier at sca.org

and/or Sir Robert Glendon of Auk, the Society Earl
Marshal at :
marshal at sca.org

Thank you,

Don Ansgar von Aachen