[Namron] Not just period police

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed Jan 12 15:04:37 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 02:45:49PM -0600, Friend, Kimberlee wrote:

> Please for the love of the gods tell me that someone didn't actually
> complain about your signature line?!?! Can people be so petty and just
> down right ignorant as to be offended by something like a signature
> line on an email? Have they got nothing better to do?

> I'm pretty sure you can put just about whatever the heck you want in
> your signature line. It's yours to do with what you will. If someone
> doesn't like it, they don't have to read that far down.
>
> MiLady 'Isobel de Kirkbryde married to a Laurel (Michael Fenwick of
> Fotheringhay)' you put whatever you want in YOUR signature line, I'll
> still read your posts.

> A Very Annoyed
> Lady Deirdre ni'Raghailligh
> Member of the Heart of the Sable Storm
> Apprentice to Master Daniel Black Ax
> Member of House WolfStar
> First Captain of the Blacke Orchid
> Dee Bird the Great
> and A Person With A VERY Low Tolerance For Stupidity

I saw the mail. I don't know if it could really be termed a complaint,
but more like a "someone may see this and think you're trying to get rank
by proxy through your husband" sort of thing. I just can't get inside the
mind of someone who would write something like that. I won't post the
mail because it was to my lady wife, not to me, but I suppose I could get
annoyed about it if I worked a little bit, blasé, urbane, and imperturbable
though I am, as you all know.

If someone gets offended, then _that_ person can register his/her/its
displeasure with the person causing the (putative) offense. I don't see
that it's needful for people to try to run interference on things that
_may_ cause offense to some unspecified person at some unspecified future
time.

This reminds me a lot of Master Tivar's definition of "political
correctness": being creatively thin-skinned.

I really can't understand why someone would be bothered in any way by
that sig line. It is simply a statement of fact. Isobel is, for some
unaccountable reason, proud of being married to me and of my modest
achievements.

She's not one to toot her own horn, either, so I'll do a little horn-
tooting on her behalf: she graduated with _triple_ honors (Honors program,
Magna Cum Laude, and something else equally impressive) in biochemistry,
_and_ she recently got an FCC amateur radio operator's Technician-class
license after only 2 weeks of study. You see my call below: KE5DMQ? She's
KE5DMP, but (ever the biochemist) is going to change it to (what else)
K5DNA.

--
Mike Andrews	/	Michael Fenwick 	Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx / KE5DMQ