[Namron] Devices and AoAs?

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Mon Jun 6 20:53:06 PDT 2005

Radei wrote:
> Isn't there a difference between a device and a "Coat-of-Arms"?  I had
> thought a device was the base structure, a Coat-of-Arms were the beels
> and whistles that go around the shild.  Am I wrong?

A "device" is that stuff that is often painted on a shield, or shown as
if painted on a shield.  Frequently, it is called your "arms".  Anyone
can register some with the College of Arms, provided you also get your
name registered.

An "achievement" is the arms with certain other things, like supporters,
a helm, mantling, crest, motto, etc.  These things depend on rank in the
SCA.  For example, Master FitzBubba is a peer.  He can have a helm, a
crest, and a motto, and the helm's mantling can include a fur. (See
http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/achievements/ for full description)

As for arms... You can paint anything (tasteful) on your shield,
provided it conforms to that ideal of an "attempt at medieval" that we
shoot for in the SCA.  But if you paint something on your shield that
someone else is using on theirs AND theirs is registered with the
College of Arms, they have grounds to ask you to remove it. (side note -
The Ansteorran College of Heralds has a militant branch made up of
several knights.  Don't buck the system... *grin*)

To register arms, they need to have at least two clear major visual
differences from any other arms registered in the SCA and from well
known historical and modern arms.  Three gold lions passant on a red
background are right out.

There is a glossary at:
http://www.sca.org/heraldry/coagloss.html
... as well as much other good information on the main page.  But, for
that personal service, contact your local herald and ask how all this
applies to *you*!

Baron Ulf