[Namron] Devices and AoAs?

William Herron fitzbubba at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:27:51 PDT 2005

> An "achievement" is the arms with certain other things, like supporters,
> a helm, mantling, crest, motto, etc.  These things depend on rank in the
> SCA.  For example, Master FitzBubba is a peer.  He can have a helm, a
> crest, and a motto, and the helm's mantling can include a fur. (See
> http://heraldry.ansteorra.org/achievements/ for full description)

Sidebar:  Ulf, did that ever get done?  Last time I looked, the online
Achievement armorial was still dated 6/10/02.

> As for arms... You can paint anything (tasteful) on your shield,
> provided it conforms to that ideal of an "attempt at medieval" that we
> shoot for in the SCA.  But if you paint something on your shield that
> someone else is using on theirs AND theirs is registered with the
> College of Arms, they have grounds to ask you to remove it. (side note -
> The Ansteorran College of Heralds has a militant branch made up of
> several knights.  Don't buck the system... *grin*)

And it's not just on the battlefield.  Once you get good at it, you
can walk into a feast hall, look up at the banners hung on the wall,
and say, okay, Gwyneth's here, Ulf's here, Their Majesties are here,
and so on.

Care,
Bubba