[Namron] ADA

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 09:29:11 PST 2005

I was one of the people who wanted to know what the
issues were with the SCA since I am hearing impaired
and use a service animal, have a bad back and
periodically use a wheelchair, and yes, even have a
mental illness (which was tossed into the discussion
so that the attorney responded to it).  Most folks
don't know who does and who doesn't have a mental
illness.  But, once something becomes visible, like
needing assistance with mobility, or having a service
animal, it often becomes an issue.

I fight constantly in the mundane world for the
privilege of having my service dog with me.  I have
been tossed out of restaurants, charged extra fees for
having her, and had absolutely nasty tings said to me.
   All things that are illegal.  So far, I have been
fortunate enough not to have run into the same kind of
problems in the SCA. People are used to seeing a guide
dog, but a hearing dog blows their minds.  It is
indeed interesting how people respond, and I often
find it has a lot more to do with power and control
than it does with reality.

There are a few people who are just plain ignorant.
That is really easy to solve. A quick read of the law
stops it dead in its tracks. (I carry a copy of a
booklet which covers the law in all 50 states, DC,
HUD, FAA, and the ADA on service animals).  If
ignorance was all that had to be cured, then the ADA
wouldn't have recourse for those of us who get
discriminated against which involves both criminal and
civil lawsuits.  It is extraordinarily unfortunate
that some people have to be taught lessons the hard
way -- through their pocket books.

The most difficult thing for me in the SCA so far is
hearing and understanding announcements by Heralds.
It is NOT the heralds' fault, nor is it something that
needs to be changed as it is part of the way the SCA
is structured.  But, I almost always have to ask the
person next to me, "What did he/she say?"  If I get a
chance during an event to find out who the herald is
(as I did at Kingdom A&S), I ask the hearld to be sure
that I know what is going on.  The gentleman was
wonderful and talked to me either before or after he
made his announcement to be sure I knew what was said.
 That was an appropriate accomodation and all that I
needed.

I was not trying to start any kind of email war.  I
just wanted to be aware of what issues I might be
facing.  I certainly don't want to encourage Chass or
anyone else to leave the SCA.  I happen to enjoy it
(for the most part).  There are days when my
disabilities make it difficult.  But, the folks I have
been around have been accomodating and wonderful.
Maybe I've just been lucky.  I also haven't done much
playing outside of Namron yet, and we may just have
compassionate people in Namron.  I think it certainly
starts at the top, and the wonderful missive from Ulf
about losing his father says a lot.  With a Baron and
Baronness like we have, Namron is very fortunate
indeed.

Isobel de Kirkbryde, a widow.  My son, Odhran Kilmaine and I were blessed to be taken in by Master Michael Fenwick of Fotheringhay.