[Namron] ADA

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tue Mar 8 09:36:49 PST 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 09:29:11AM -0800, Isobel de Kirkbryde wrote:
> I was one of the people who wanted to know what the issues were with the
> SCA since I am hearing impaired and use a service animal, have a bad back
> and periodically use a wheelchair, and yes, even have a mental illness
> (which was tossed into the discussion so that the attorney responded
> to it). Most folks don't know who does and who doesn't have a mental
> illness. But, once something becomes visible, like needing assistance
> with mobility, or having a service animal, it often becomes an issue.
>
> I fight constantly in the mundane world for the privilege of having my
> service dog with me. I have been tossed out of restaurants, charged
> extra fees for having her, and had absolutely nasty tings said to me.
> All things that are illegal. So far, I have been fortunate enough not to
> have run into the same kind of problems in the SCA. People are used to
> seeing a guide dog, but a hearing dog blows their minds. It is indeed
> interesting how people respond, and I often find it has a lot more to do
> with power and control than it does with reality.
>
> There are a few people who are just plain ignorant. That is really easy
> to solve. A quick read of the law stops it dead in its tracks. (I carry
> a copy of a booklet which covers the law in all 50 states, DC, HUD,
> FAA, and the ADA on service animals). If ignorance was all that had to
> be cured, then the ADA wouldn't have recourse for those of us who get
> discriminated against which involves both criminal and civil lawsuits. It
> is extraordinarily unfortunate that some people have to be taught lessons
> the hard way -- through their pocket books.
>
> The most difficult thing for me in the SCA so far is hearing and
> understanding announcements by Heralds. It is NOT the heralds' fault, nor
> is it something that needs to be changed as it is part of the way the
> SCA is structured. But, I almost always have to ask the person next to
> me, "What did he/she say?" If I get a chance during an event to find out
> who the herald is (as I did at Kingdom A&S), I ask the hearld to be sure
> that I know what is going on. The gentleman was wonderful and talked to
> me either before or after he made his announcement to be sure I knew what
> was said. That was an appropriate accomodation and all that I needed.
>
> I was not trying to start any kind of email war. I just wanted to be
> aware of what issues I might be facing. I certainly don't want to
> encourage Chass or anyone else to leave the SCA. I happen to enjoy
> it (for the most part). There are days when my disabilities make it
> difficult. But, the folks I have been around have been accomodating and
> wonderful. Maybe I've just been lucky. I also haven't done much playing
> outside of Namron yet, and we may just have compassionate people in
> Namron. I think it certainly starts at the top, and the wonderful missive
> from Ulf about losing his father says a lot. With a Baron and Baronness
> like we have, Namron is very fortunate indeed.

Good post. _GOOD_ post indeed.

What you may not have known before you wrote that post is that _lots_
of us stop the herald and ask him what he was saying, if we get a
chance to do so.

I'm glad that you're feeling well enough to read and write mail. Have
you tried eating anything? We're out of chicken noodle soup, I regret
to say, but have some others.

Did I leave my cell phone there? I can't find it in the car, and I
thought I remembered unplugging it from the charger (over my head)
and putting it on my belt. *sigh*

Hugs and pats and cuddles, and certainly 88s, from your

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin