[Namron] etiquette question #2

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed May 11 07:37:05 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 08:31:48AM -0700, Danielle DeMarseilles wrote:
> First off thank you to all who helped answer the last qustion. Now on to
> the question for today. I am aware that certain things are "reserved" for
> certain groups/orders. What exactly is off limits? I mean is anything
> with a laurel wreath, no matter the color, off limits? What colors of
> belts hold significant meaning? Is any metal band off limits, or can is
> it just a certain width? Are there any other articles that have even a
> unofficial meaning?
>
> Thanks for the info!

Thanks for asking; you ask good questions.

Others may have different opinions; here's my take on it:

o	A plain white belt is reserved by law to Knights of the SCA.
	Belts of other colors are customarily worn by squires (red),
	apprentices to Laurels (green), and so on, but these are *NOT*
	reserved by law. If you choose to wear a green or red belt,
	but are not an apprentice (green) or squire (red), then some
	ignoramuses may give you trouble over it. They're _WRONG_.
	However, if you choose to wear a white belt and are not a Knight,
	some people will give you grief over it. They're _right_. The
	correction should be done quietly and privately, but some folks --
	usually _not_ Knights -- handle this very badly. They're wrong, too,
	even if you're wearing a white belt and aren't a Knight.

o	A plain white baldric is reserved to Masters of Arms.

o	A plain chain around the neck is reserved to Knights of the SCA,
	and (with the permission of the Crown) to others in fealty to the
	Crown.

o	Styles of coronets (baronial, comital, ducal, principial, and
	regal) are set forth by law.

o	Styles of circlets (metal headbands) are set forth by sumptuary law.

o	The laurel wreath, as an element of arms, is reserved to branches
	of the Society and to Companions of the Ancient and Honorable
	Order of the Laurel.

o	The laurel wreath as a decorative element is reserved to Companions
	of the Ancient and Honorable Order of the Laurel. I doubt that any
	Companion is going to give you a public tongue-lashing if you wear,
	say, fabric with a laurel-wreath motif; you may, however, have to tell
	that Laurel where you got it and how much it costs per yard.

That's by no means everything, but it's a start.

--
Mike Andrews		/	Michael Fenwick 	Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx	/	Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO