[Namron] Couple costuming questions

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Fri May 13 23:35:32 PDT 2005

DO NOT buy local without a pro at your shoulder, and never use
synthetics or cotton, I don't care who says otherwise. Linen, the
fabric of the middle ages, ROCKS!
Why buy modern when period is inexpensive and more comfortable?
It can be had cheaply, it wicks away sweat, it looks better, lasts
longer, it is accurate and is cooler in the heat and warmer in the cold
when compared to even fine cotton.
Wanna source to buy yards of 100%linen in tons of colors and weights,
cheap? Shop where the rest of the costumers do, fabric-store.com
Keep an eye on the "Oops Sale", but drool at their regular inexpensive
stuff, too.

The other medieval fabric is wool, and it wasn't all itchy army blanket
stuff. It was wool flannels and twills, many very lightweight, like
looseweave tropical weight. I've worn both lightweight wools and linens
at events where cotton/ acrylic t-tunic wearers were uncomfortable.
Try Periodfabric.com and ask Baron Ulf what he thought of their undyed
fresh off the loom wools...6$ a yard as I recall, 60 inches wide.

~Finnacan