[Namron] What's in a name

Jim L Couch jimcouch at gmail.com
Wed May 18 08:32:42 PDT 2005

Good people of Namron. I am one of those new people that her most gracious
excellency Maleah spoke of at populace last night. Paraphrasing, she said
something to the effect that your name may change many times during your
involvment in the SCA.
 That said, I would like some suggestions on a Icelandic/Viking persona
about 900ad..ish. I have been using The Viking Answer Lady's website and she
has a great list of male vikings names. One that I am considering is Guðmundr
Grímr. But I am not completely sure if I am using the r's at the end of it.
I am also not exactly sure how to pronounce it. It looking at a
pronunciation key it sounds like GWod-mund Grrim to me. I kind of like the
sound of it, and the flow of it.. But I am not married to it. :) It seems,
from reading, that they also would use nicknames. Like Erik the Red etc
etc.. but it seems like some of the stuff I am reading conflicts with other
stuff I read. I have read that they didnt use surnames but instead had a
given first name and then used their fathers, or mothers sometimes, name as
a last.
 Any feelings, thoughts, ideas for a 900ish name?
 Jim, err wait.. who am i today?