[Namron] Re: Scathach

Deidru nicTait ladydeidru at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 15:37:11 PDT 2005

Scott Barrett <barrett1 at cox.net> wrote:
I'm not sure how reliable this info is, but here goes...I have read in 2 Irish surname books and on several geneology websites, that the precursor Fitz in a surname often indicated a child that was recognized by the father has his, but born out of wedlock, such as FitzGrey, meaning bastard child of Grey. If the child had been born in wedlock his name generally would have been MacGrey, McGrey or even O'Grey.
I did a search on internet explorer, out+of+wedlock+irish+surnames (the + signs means that each word must be in the webpage for it pull up on a search) and came up with quite a few geneology websites, the books I found in my local library with the help of a librarian.

Deidru