[Namron] Re: Scathach

John Hurst jhurstsca at cableone.net
Sat May 21 06:12:34 PDT 2005

As far as I know, and as far as I can find out, fitz was a French word
introduced by the normans.  Here is the definition from Dictionary.com FWIW:

fitz

\Fitz\, n. [OF. fils, filz, fiz, son, F. fils, L. filius. See
<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=filial>Filial.] A son; -- used in
compound names, to indicate paternity, esp. of the illegitimate sons of
kings and princes of the blood; as, Fitzroy, the son of the king;
Fitzclarence, the son of the duke of Clarence.

Ewen MacG