[Namron] Couple costuming questions

Lee McGoodwin etienett at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 17:12:50 PDT 2005

Jim for Now,

After reading through the postings so far, I have to
add my two cents.

The basic shapes and construction of Medieval clothing
is really pretty simple.  With a sewing machine you
will eventually be able to get the basic tunics
constructed in about 2 hours.  It's the details that
create the look of a particular period or people and
can take more time.

I looked at some of the pics on the viking site.  I
would suggest getting with one of our
weavers....Annabelle springs to mind.... to create the
trim.  Weaving is faster than embroidery.  Of course,
it isn't as fast as buying...hehe...but then you will
be able to get the exact color and width you want.
You can slip into embroidery more slowly.

I love it when men take on projects that are
traditionally thought of as "woman's work".  His
Excellency Master Aethelstan has caused a few of our
ladies to quit embroidering becuase his work is so
fine and good.  Master Tarl does excellent embroidery
as well.

Just start somewhere.  Sewing by hand or machine
doesn't really matter.  Expect to make mistakes...
One thing I always stress to new sewers.  ALWAYS CUT
THE NECK SMALLER THAN YOU THINK!!  It's easier to
enlarge than try to make smaller.  If you cut the
tunic too big, you can always take it up.

The newcomers' handbook _Forward into the Past_ has a
basic tunic pattern and instructions.

I'm always willing to answer questions, assist, and
encourage anyway I can.

FYI: my background: sewing since I was 10 or 11, BFA
in Drama Design/emphasis Costuming.

In Service to the Dream
Lady Etienett de Bitche