[Namron] Re: Scathach

Scott Barrett barrett1 at cox.net
Fri May 20 22:05:50 PDT 2005

Cool. I've never known much about later naming practices and always
found "Fitz" to be found mostly after the Norman Conquest, though I
imagine it happened before that time.
  Period, just not something I ever looked into.
It makes sense, what with Normans wanting to recognize children born in
Ireland that may not have a pure Norman lineage. It explains all those
FitzRoys, FitzPatricks and FitzGeralds.
Lots of people interested in this topic...
Is anyone grabbing "Irish Names" by Donnchadh O'Corrain by using
Inter-library loan? Has anyone called Tadgh yet to see if his copy is
available for research?
BTW, Deidru, multiple sources like books and websites repeating the
same information AND quoting their sources can be considered a
reasonable body of documentation. I'm going to start pointing at you in
public now, and telling people you know how to gather information.

~Finnacan Dub (pronounced Finnegan Duff)