[Namron] "Stone Age Beer"

muriel at entelesoft.com muriel at entelesoft.com
Sat Oct 15 08:31:46 PDT 2005

The November edition of Discover magazine has an article about the discovery
of the oldest beer - a 9000 year-old Chinese "beer" (not sure why they call
it a beer) of rice, honey, and either grapes, hawthorn berries, or both.
But this is not just another dry list of things dug out of the ground.  The
author interviews a group of molecular archeologists who attempt to recreate
the beer.  When the author is disappointed by all the modern brewing things
they do to it, he decides to brew it himself.  I imagine he invoked that
powerful incantation we're all familiar with, "Here drink this".  There is
not any indication in the article that he's every brewed anything before.

Quite an entertaining read.  At the very least, next time you're in
Albertson's, pick up the magazine and read this article while you're in
line.

Who's up to the challenge of brewing this?  I'll taste it!  (as long as some
other victim has tested it for dangerous bacterial cultures first)!

-Muriel
There are, indeed, two things, knowledge and opinion, of which the one makes
its possessor really to know, the other to be ignorant.
Hippocrates