[Namron] Not the same old food...

Samarrah bint Annaan samarrah_bint_annaan at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 11:29:06 PDT 2005

Caius,

Hear, Hear!  Natural foods are always best.  My
grandparents raised cattle, and we will after Bjorn
retires from his mundane job.  Nothing but range fed
in the warm months and hay and alfalfa in the winter.
Good natural spring water and lots of TLC. THAT'S Good
Farmin!

--- Craig Pharaoh <sherdana at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Seriously?  Feedlots!
> My beef is raised on grass, hay and occassional
> grain and fruit,
> without added wierd stuff and animal proteins.  They
> exercise daily,
> having to move 1/2 mile (at least) between water and
> food.
> Longhorns have not been bred for "added weight"
> which
> usually means more fat.  Plus, we hang the meat for
> couple of days after slaughter which imparts more
> flavor.
>
> aside:
> (I remember the British would "hang" pheasant until
> the bird's
> head came off, for more flavor, but that is going a
> bit far.)
>
> And Lord Hatur spent a lot of time making sure that
> the meat was well
> smoked, he started cooking for the feast a week
> before the feast.
>
> All in all, it is the time that we take to do things
> more naturally that
> makes the difference in taste.    Imagine feedlots
> where the cow's food is
> laced with ground up animal proteins, (if they add
> brains and spinal
> cords you may get mad cow disease), and is made
> salty so the beasts have
> to drink, while the water has added chemicals to
> make the animals hungry.
> The animals stand around for days, just eating and
> eating and pooping, then
> are
> slaughtered, cut up and packed off to the steak
> house or grocery.  They add
> the poop back into the cowfeed, so they don't waste
> anything.
> (I also worked as a butcher's assistant in a grocery
> for a while).
>
> Sorry, now you know why I prefer home raised
> beef.....and eggs and .....
>
> Caius  (who now has to go fix some fence, the
> downside of home grown beef.)
>
> >From: Ulf Gunnarsson <ulfie at cox.net>
> >To: Barony of Namron <namron at ansteorra.org>
> >Subject: RE: [Namron] Not the same old food...
> >Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 00:34:22 -0500
> >
> >Lord Caius wrote:
> > > Note: the beef fixed by Lord Hatur at
> Protectorate was
> > > longhorn, and the bull which donated his meat
> was one
> > > year and two weeks old.  That meat should have
> been
> > > both lean and tender.
> >
> >Was that beef you raised, Caius?  I found it
> wonderfully tasty.  It bore
> >no honest resemblance to what is served at the
> chain "steak houses" in
> >this kingdom, and reminded me strongly of the beef
> I had growing up in
> >rural Ansteorra.  In recent years I decided that it
> isn't just memory
> >making the beef taste better back then.  It really
> did.  So what is the
> >reason, and what other food animals would taste
> different than they did
> >many years ago?

> [...]

<DIV>
<DIV>Lady Samarrah bint Annaan, Princess of Pie Procurement, Den Mother of Puhka Lovr University, Mother to Michaella the Merguard and Billy the Mortally Mundane,wife to her beloved Rouda Bjorn Wilhelmson, The Iron Bear of Bjornsstead</div>
<DIV> </div>
<DIV>God be with you in every pass. Jesus be with you on every hill.</div> <DIV>Spirit be with you in every stream, headland, ridge and law,</div><DIV>each sea and land, each moor and meadow, lying down and rising up,</div> <DIV>in the trough of the waves or on the crest of the billow.</div><DIV> Each step of the journey you go, go with God.</div>
<DIV> </div>
<DIV> </div></div>