[Namron] SCA cooks.

Lee McGoodwin etienett at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 19 11:11:40 PDT 2005

Anyone, other than me, like escargot or sardines? :-)

I remember reading somewhere, that a visitor from the
Continent to England, (a diplomat, I think) was amazed
at how much meat the English ate, even the peasants.

Etienett

--- John Hurst <jhurstsca at cableone.net> wrote:

> And in the middle ages most people ate little meat
> at all, and mostly beef,
> pork and venison.  Still very limited, just limited
> to different
> meats.  Not all that many people had a great
> opportunity to sample anything
> that wasn't local grown, and what they did get
> wasn''t always at its best,
> since they had no way to store it.  As far as who
> has eaten those wild
> varieties these days, maybe its the circles I have
> always travelled in, but
> I had eaten venison, wild boar, bear, elk, pheasant
> and quail long before
> the SCA was even started, and no, I don't hunt nor
> did any in my immediate
> family, but there were always lots of hunters around
> who were willing to
> share.  I guess its a matter of attitude, modern
> diet leads you to EXPECT a
> large variety of different foods, and opportunity to
> taste different foods,
> medieval society led you to expect to eat pretty
> much the same diet every
> day, with occasional festivals where different
> things were prepared.
>                        Ewen MacG.
>
> At 05:21 PM 10/16/2005, you wrote:
>
> >Ok, I was thinking of the variety of meats we eat.
> >Yes, fruits and veggies, etc. are available in
> greater
> >variety due to import and cross-country transport.
> >But the meats we eat are limited.  Beef, chiken,
> pork,
> >turkey... for the most part.  Where are all the
> other
> >possibilities?  How many people in our mundane
> world
> >today have eaten squirrel, peacock, and a myriad of
> >other critters running and flying around in the
> woods
> >and on the plains?  Now, that is not to say all
> >critters are tasty to eat.
> >
> >Etienett
>
> "Those who would sacrifice liberty for security
> deserve neither."
>                                                Ben
> Franklin
>

> --

No light shines on the mind protected
No light shines on the fangs neglected
Run with the wolfpack.      (song lyrics)