[Namron] Handicaped vs Handicapable...

sandra goodrich tgnst at swbell.net
Tue Sep 27 10:03:35 PDT 2005

I've dealt with an interesting spree of personal illness since my arrival date some 47 years ago, and lived with a mother and two sisters who had and do have their own runs with health problems, sigh... No whining, It just is, :-)
We all have things to overcome, I can't think of anybody that doesn't have a burden of some type to shoulder, :-(
It's rough or rougher, but its life, and I have made an Abdul-ism one of my stock quotes, "Anyday above dirt is a good day", :-)
This has never been an easy hobby. You have to to be aware of your own personal needs and pack and plan accordingly... You play at any level of sites, under any type of weather conditions, with a varying degree of comfort options. And all of this with a wide spectrum of people participating with us. The general affect is that we, for the most part, come together to get things done, no matter what is thrown at us...
I've had people in my life with mobility issues, varying levels of visual acuity, and with chronic illness, some I've lost bit by bit, and some in one fell swoop, heavy sigh... And those people all brought something to our little game, they earned their place for who they were, and we all accommodated each other!
People deserve to be valued for what they bring to the table, not categorized for those things that they can't change about themselves. And it happens here all the time when people get a chance to kick off that basket and let their own personal light shine!  :-)
I often forget that Dagmar doesn't see as well as I...
Roane was a brilliant women with lots of information on her research--she kept the Greenwoood singers in line for years...
Mairin ran her kitchen, barded and sewed and painted things...
Bjorn died in his kitchen, cooking... I remember him popping a wheely in the moonlight on his scooter  and yelling yeehaw as he rode out of sight late one night a Taylor lake
Khadija's last event was spent running tavern, and around the fire, and her bald head was a flag of honor to many...
Anya is known for Mooing, Harping, and fabric display...
Alix has mobility issues, and always has her case of favorite remedies close incase her body start to disagree with her eventing plans, and I'm sure just about everyone has seen  what her hands can do with a little paint, some beads, and some string...
And the dang pageant goes on and I could tell tales of heroism and or infamy about any number of people past or present who outside our game might just be labeled as 'disabled', heavy fracking sigh...:-)
We adjust, and we each do what we can here, and sometimes what comes about is truly awesome, and to quote Ivar, Battleskald of course, "Because that's what Heroes do"...'Stacia :-)