[Namron] Woodland Festival

Firemaidyn at aol.com Firemaidyn at aol.com
Mon Sep 19 21:13:47 PDT 2005

I wanted to give you my take on the festival.....
I live in Oklahoma City and I never saw any advertisments for the festival. I
I just happened to have called an old friend of mine from the Canton and was
asked to attend.  I was only aware of the festival through word of mouth and
would have missed it if I hadn't made that one fateful phone call.

 It was described to me to be a quaint little festival, much like the one in
Norman that comes in the spring, but much smaller. I was pleasantly surprised
that it was bigger than I had imagined for only being the second festival and
it was in a lovely park. The center stage was perfect for the crowd to view
the dancing and revelry that took place. The entertainment chosen for the stage
show was really enjoyable.

The bathrooms seemed sufficient for the amount of people that were there this
year, however, if the festival grows much more, and I feel that it will. You
will need more bathrooms especially if you have more vendors on site.The
bathrooms were hard to find this year, I wasnt the only one who almost used the
bathroom at the pool house..(yuck)

I think that if there were more food vendors to choose from, then the
visitors would stay longer, some people are drawn to festivals and carnivals because
of the food first and foremost...then they warm up to the things they are less
familiar with such as the reinactment that we are promoting.

I think the vendors that were there were great, lots of variety, people like
that. The bake sale was a nice touch. The bake sale food was good to eat and
there was plenty of it. it was also quite a bargain for carnival food.

I think that all pavilions that are SCA related should have flyers available
to hand out to people who ask about the festival. I was at a selling vendor
pavillion and many town folk would wander over to ask about the festival. Its
hard to sum up the SCA in the few moments that a mildly curious mundane will
give you to explain.

Other nice things i would have like to have seen ........ jugglers, fire
eaters, acrobats, more musicians, a seige engine display, a blacksmith display, a
rapier demo, and a courtly dance demo.

The information and hospitality booths are essential, you can be the soul
invitation for a new SCA player. Most new players find there way to the SCA
through the Norman Medieval Faire. Without greetings and warm welcome at the
information and hospitality booths, you will miss a lot of opportunity for Canton
population growth.

I dont know if the Canton can handle the organization of the festival as it
grows, but this year it was beautiful and impressive. I feel sad for those who
were unable to attend. It truely held the essence that a true medeival
festival should have, you could feel the love of "the dream" in the atmosphere.

~~~Sybil