[Namron] Guild of Camillus de Lellis

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Mon Sep 26 21:37:55 PDT 2005

Annais.... Chass is not asking to be treated any differently than anyone
else, what he is asking for is for people to think when they are choosing
sites for events.  Imagine needing to go to the bathroom to the point of
bursting, and not being able to enter the bathroom, much less one of the
stalls.  Imagine wanting to attend feast but being unable to enter the
building that feast is being held in.  Imagine sitting in a chair and it
starting to rain, which will short out hte only mode of mobility you have
and having to sit in the rain until someone can FIND someone to help you get
in your cabin because it has a stair and you can't get your chair into it
without assistance.  Imagine trying to go to an event and getting your only
vehicle destroyed just trying to get into the site.  These are NOT special
considerations, they are common sense.  As for the ADA issue, Corpora HAS
made a ruling on it.  the SCA is required to follow all the rules of the
land... including and specifically citing the ADA.  Now if the intent of
choosing sites that are not accessible is an attempt to prevent those in
wheelchairs from attending unless they wish to give up their attempts at
independence, then continue to choose sites that are not accessible and that
require those with disabilities to request assistance to do what able bodied
people do on a daily basis without thought.  If this is NOT the intent,
which I hope is the case, then those who choose the sites need to do a
little more research and educate themselves on what is and isn't accessible.

Lady Elizabeta of Rundel