[Namron] Ahhhhh the game, ahhhhh the DREAM! PS Beltane Titled Archer Competition

Sjonna sjonna at cox.net
Wed Apr 12 22:37:32 PDT 2006

The SCA is special to me as I was welcomed in different ways and on
different levels in Namron, Steppes and North Keep when I began to play more
than 5 years ago.  No Barony was perfect in it's approach, response or
follow-up to a new comer.  Each group had people who went out of their way
to make you feel like you were welcome and those who took their status in
"the game" a little too seriously, i.e. critical of a new comer
efforts/enthusiasm without offering advice or aid.

Overall, the SCA is like any other group or association ... some lead, some
follow, some have your back, some would rather stick a knife in it, some
help out, some complain, some have "ambitions" (not always a dirty word --
unless it is coupled with dirty deeds) and some want to just make it a nice
time and enjoy the dream.

As in any group, approved rules must be followed with
acknowledgements/awards and reprimands/punishments given even-handedly.
Participants/members have the responsibility to act with respect to others
and self-respect, with courtesy and kindness, with awareness of the official
rules combined with a sense of the dream.  All groups have strife ... it's
important to heal inner-personal and group relations for a group to grow
past derision and division.

This message is not meant as a "lecture" on "behavior" but an offering of a
little bit of group dynamic knowledge gained after working with
volunteer-not-for-profit groups for more than 20 years.  I also want to say
a HUGE "thank you" to those who have helped me, my family and the new comers
I bring to the game by showing the spirit of the SCA, the meaning of the
Dream and the goodness that drives those in the SCA.

My husband and I are attending Beltane this year with newcomers in tow
again.   We were excited to see Lady Kathryn's list of planned activities
and with great joy shared it with those friends we wished to lure to Beltane
and into the SCA.  A King's attendance adds another "level" of the game to
the event and should only make Namron shine even more as I know the Barony
can and does.  It is typically the first event attended by those "recruited"
at Med Fair and everyone works hard to make these "new comers" feel welcomed
and included.

I wish I again had the time to be a more active participant in our Barony
... Being the Archery Marshal was much fun and the children who became
interested in the sport were my greatest joy.  Alas, with twin 22-month
olds, a 9-year old and working fulltime, I can only keep up with the Barony
through the list (and I appreciate the notices of meetings, the information
on events and the resources people find and share) and through a few events
each year.

I encourage anyone who can and is willing to become involved in the
"management" positions ... many in the group remember the first time they
accepted a position and are more than willing to help you through the
learning curve (rules/protocols/forms -- oh my goodness the forms!)

As to the Beltane Titled Archer competition ... I challenge each of you to
grab up your bow and use these lovely days to practice!  My husband is
working diligently on making a worthy skills test for the next title holder!
(Although he is sad to be giving up the pass down medallion. -- Yes, that is
a blatant attempt to whet your appetite and get you to participate!)  Also,
if you are a warranted Archery Marshal and will be attending the Beltane
games, we could certainly use your help, as well as your bow!

With warmest regards to all who make the events, the game and the dream
happen,
Lady Bianca Sereni
2002 Titled Archer of Namron
Holder of a Torsade of Namron
Proud member of the Barony of Namron, the Kingdom of Ansteorra, the SCA Game
and Dream