[Namron] Badges for the Children

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 10:26:39 PDT 2006

Great point, Mistress Alix!  I wonder about having the children learn to embroider their own badges as they earn them.  The badges might not be perfect, but the kids would "own" the work they had put into them.  It would be a great way to introduce them to another one of the Arts as well.

I'm not good at teaching embroidery, do you know someone who would be?

Lady Isobel

ksullivan6 at cox.net wrote: OK I am going to put in my 2 cents here.
What are we trying to teach our kids, how things were done in the middle ages or how they are done in our modern world? Would not hand embroidered badges be better? Think of the message being sent to our children.
Mistress Alix
--
Work hard,keep the ceremonies,live peaceably, and unite your hearts.
(Hopi)

---- "Epperson wrote:
> If we are unable to locate someone to machine embroider them
> inexpensively, they are simple outlines and with many willing hands it
> shouldnt take long to hand embroider them using outline or chain stitch.
> The ones our son got when kingdom started re-emphasizing the program
> about a year and a half ago are about 2" circles. As for colors, her is
> the response I got from the kingdom MOC a week ago after asking her:
>
> Greetings HL Annabelle,
> Most of the badges are on white with black or brown emblems. The
> marshallette badges usually are on yellow felt with black emblems. The
> heraldic badge is yellow with green emblem and the waterbearing badge is
> white with a blue water drop. the sewing badge is on white with a
> black/brown needle and a colored thread.
> Did I answer your question? If you are not sure of a particular badge
> please ask.
>
> Adria
>

> I, also, would be more than willing to help with the project.  If we
> decide to hand-embroider, the end result may not be as professional
> looking, but it would give us an excuse to get together and talk as we
> stitch.  It could also get more people involved, and give us a chance to
> teach people beginning embroidery on a simple, easy-to-complete project.
>
> Annabelle

Lady Isobel de Kirkbryde
Deputy Hospitaler, Barony of Namron
Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, Kingdom of Ansteorra