[Namron] Pooky Blah Blah and a Capora Question

Lisa silvina at allegiance.tv
Thu Aug 10 13:19:17 PDT 2006

My Dear Pooky,

I did not find anything in kingdom law that addressed this issue other than
what has already been mentioned, but I did find this in the Seneschal's
Handbook.

Children

Children are the future of the Society and are welcome at all events, where
we should

offer ways for them to enjoy themselves. However, the SCA is not a huge,
safe

playground where children can wander freely. Parents are responsible for
their children

at all times. Parents should always know where their children are. If the
children are

under 12, they should be within eyesight or earshot of their children.
Parents cannot

leave the site without their children unless they have provided a notarized
waiver for

children in the care of a non-parent adult. Children under 12 are not
suitable babysitters

at SCA events.

Minors who are 15 or older are permitted to hold certain offices if the
Kingdom officer is

aware of the age of the minor and if that officer, the minor's parents, and
the group

approve. Minors cannot hold the office of Seneschal or Treasurer or manage
the gate at

an event.

SCA-Sponsored Children's Activities

Your group can choose to host children's activities at events for children
between the

ages of 5 and 12. Parents must sign their children into and out of children'
s activities,

and must accompany any child under the age of 5 during the activities. If a
child refuses

to stay at the activity, the volunteer in charge cannot force them to
remain, but should

contact the parent.

Official SCA groups must ensure all SCA children's activities are approved
by the local

group Seneschal or Event Steward and if possible by the local Minister of
Children

(MoC). These activities should take place as near the main activities as
possible, with

safety of the children always in mind. Make parents aware that children's
activities are

not a babysitting service. These activities are provided to encourage
participation by

minors and to educate minors about our society and history.

For all organized SCA functions for minors, a minimum of two adults (age 18
or older),

unrelated to one another by blood or marriage, must be present. This policy
does not

relieve parents or guardians from their primary responsibility for the
welfare of their

22

children. This policy is not subject to the granting of variance or
"grandfathering" of

existing activities.

For the purpose of this document, the following definitions apply:

 Minor-A person under the age of 18

 Adult-A person who has reached the age of 18

The Seneschal is responsible for ensuring that volunteers at children's
activities are fully

aware of all relevant policies and guidelines concerning minors and the
running of

activities. MoCs must ensure that sufficient leadership is provided for all
activities, and

have the right and responsibility to cancel activities if the requirements
cannot be met.

Encourage parents to volunteer for a couple of hours to help ensure that
sufficient

assistance is available.

Officers and volunteers are not responsible for correcting the behavior of
children at

children's activities or for restraining or disciplining these children.
Children exhibiting

lewd, violent, or otherwise severely problematic behavior at organized
activities should

be returned to parents. The Event Steward or Seneschal should be notified of
the

problem if such actions must be taken. An MoC should not accompany an
individual

child to the bathroom, but may escort groups of children to the restroom
facility. Parents

are ultimately responsible for seeing to the physical needs of their
children. Additionally,

children who are ill must remain in the care of their parent, guardian, or
designated

caretaker and should not be brought to children's activities.

When planning activities, MoCs should consider their available
resources-such as

volunteer assistance, funds for supplies, and available location-when
determining size

and structure of activities, and should try within those means to meet the
needs of a

given event. The recommended budget for children's activities is $20-50.

Seneschals and parents should review the "Guidelines for Ministry of
Children's

Activities" for more information.

Elizabeta