[Namron] A funnier story about swords in school plays...

Aline Swynbrook alineswynbrook at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 17:33:41 PST 2006

My senior year, I was hanging out in my drama class
when my teacher sticks her head in, and asks to see
me.  I come into her office and find the "Ms. Loving
is not happy" look on her face, starring at the phone.
 Ms. Loving tells me she just got a call regarding the
upcoming repertorie Theater class (super advanced
drama) production of "The Illusion", a 18th century
French drama with a lot of sword play in it.

The principal had just reviewed Ms. Loving's dossier
on the show, and noted she planned to use tipped stage
eppes.  These hadn't yet been approved by the
district.  So his solution was to a) cancel the show
or b) use the already approved color guard sabers.
Now, these sabers are 1/4 inch heavy steel plate with
a 3/8 inch tip covering, and a 2 inch wide handle.

Knowing I am a school board members kid AND the
vice-president of the history club, she wanted to see
if I could maybe make some headway.  So I looked at
the sabre, looked at the eppe, looked back at the
sabre, and then told her to ask the pricipal if I
could get five minutes of his time.

Popping into our prop shop, I grabbed a 7/8 diameter
foot long dowl rod, and the two swords and take my
pass to the principal's office.  Arriving, I first
showed him the stage eppe with its safety tip and its
flex designed for stage use.  I laid the dowl rod
between two chairs and whacked it with the eppe.  The
eppe bent, but the dowl didn't move.

Then I handed him the color guard sabre, let him see
the hard blunt edge and how heavy it was (I am
guessing 3-5 lbs).  I then whacked the dowl rod with
it, shattering it at the point of break.  I then
pointed out that the dowl had a lot more give than an
arm bone and if someone tripped and hit someone's arm,
which sword would he rather they be holding.

Needless to say, the Eppes went on.  I find that
demonstration and diplomacy can go along way in these
kinds of situations.

Cheers,
Aline