[Namron] Must see this Article! Controversy of Yearbook Photo of Scadian in Garb!

John Hurst jhurstsca at cableone.net
Thu Dec 14 10:07:50 PST 2006

The responses on AoL seemed to be typical of the kind of people I
found on that service, way back when I tried it out.  Several
insisted that he must be gay to dress like that in public, so you
can't give THEM too much credence.  Rational people are just worried
about the image, I suppose, and worried that it will be applied to
the school as a whole.  The fact that the drawing of the school
mascot is armed (so they said in the article) and that fake weapons
are allowed in school plays has little or nothing to do with that
picture, which does look rather intimidating, what with the hardware
displayed like that.  I have to guess that sans the greatsword on the
shoulder, the picture didn't worry them too much otherwise, or at
least I hope not.
               Ewen

At 08:57 AM 12/14/2006, you wrote:

>I was appalled at the response that picture got on the aol boards..
>out of curiosity i went and looked at some of the responses to the
>pic on the boards.. it ranged from calling the kid a moron, a freak,
>and a punk, to saying the mom was irresponsible. I personally
>haven't been playing very long in the SCA, but have enjoyed it
>immensly, and any child who would rather come spend his weekends
>dressing in garb and enjoying himself with a bunch of intresting and
>honorable people has a vote in my book!
>
>Renee Haddock

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked,
The good fortune to run into the people I like,
And the eyesight to tell the difference.