[Namron] Moderated messages on the Namron mailing list.

vscribe at cox.net vscribe at cox.net
Fri Dec 15 07:09:06 PST 2006

Greetings all,

Concerning moderated posts: there are no accounts currently set to moderated on the Namron list. Please note, if an account is moderated ALL of that account's posts are held for my approval prior to being posted to the list.

There are several conditions that would cause a SPECIFIC MESSAGE to be either rejected outright, or held for moderator approval.

Outright rejection of a specific message:
If you post using a email address other than the one you signed up with your post will not show on the mailing list and will be automatically deleted. I use to hand delete such post (allowing through those that were SCA related). Once the volume of such posts reached over 100 a day I changed the administrator settings to delete all posts that come from anyone not currently a member of the mailing list.

Moderator hold of a specific message:
If you post a message with too many recipients your post will be held for moderator approval. This is done to cut down on spam - as many spam messages are sent to multiple addresses. To avoid this issue send a separate email to each mailing list on which you want the message posted.

Keep your message size under 50 kb. This size limit includes the entire email message - both text and images. If you include a image in your email that is near 50 kb you will only be able to include a small amount of text before exceeding the size limit. If you are writing in response to a long thread you will need to "snip" the oldest pasts of the thread from your reply or you may well go over the size limit.

The size of 50 kb is the default setting used on all of the mailing lists hosted on the Ansteorran server. By keeping the size per message low those who are still using dial up access (or are accessing the list using a handheld device) can participate more fully in the mailing list.

On a personal note: it's finals week, Black Star layout week (the Black Star prints Sunday, will be labeled Monday, and go in the mail Tuesday), and ten days before Christmas. It may take me a day or two for me to review any held messages.

My advise: keep messages on the mailing list short, drop any graphics that are not essential to the post, and only post using the email address you signed up with and everything will run smoothly.

Barat
V-Scribe, Barony of Namron