[Namron] Must see this Article! Controversy of Yearbook Photo ofScadian in Garb!

Lord Orlando Di' Gilead daniel.pupek+sca at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:42:38 PST 2006

I'm sure no one would have had an issue with this if the boy had been in
Civil War reenactment garb with a rifle or an ROTC drill team (I was on one
as a teenager). I do have a problem with how selective this seems, but in my
original post I was refering to the anger we seem to have developed as a
society. Everyone has extreme opinions over relatively meaningless things.
We expect so much out of our children and see SOOO much wrong with our
society that we start to make up problems that don't exist and ignore the
real problems.

Orlando

On 12/14/06, mikea <mikea at mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 08:33:24PM -0600, Lord Orlando Di' Gilead wrote:
> > Greetings All!
> >
> > This is my first post to the Namron list. So far my lady and I have
> > thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality shown by both baronys in the area!
> >
> > I read through some of the AOL posts about the article in question and
> it
> > amazes me how much anger I found towards the MOM! Our society, it seems,
> > has some real anger management issues. This kids mother has a right to
> raise
> > her child the way she wishes and her child has a right to express
> himself in
> > the way he wishes. The mundane world could learn a lot from the
> SCA....it
> > would most likely be a much more peaceful place.
> >
> > Orlando Di' Gilead
>
> Welcome to Namron, Lord Orlando. I hope to meet you soon.
>
> You write, "[t]his kids mother has a right to raise her child the way
> she wishes and her child has a right to express himself in the way he
> wishes".
>
> What if he wishes to express himself by, say, robbing banks, or she
> wishes to raise him to be the next Ted Bundy? Does he therefore have a
> right to rob banks, or she to teach him that rape and murder are
> acceptable actions? I choose extremes, by the way, not to inflame you,
> but as a technique called _reductio_ad_absurdum_.
>
> Some constraints on the actions of people in our culture really are
> necessary. The problem in this particular case is that the mother and
> the school differ on where the line should be drawn between the
> constraints _she_ feels are appropriate and the constraints the school
> has decided to be appropriate.
>
> I find myself more with the mother than with the school here, as it
> happens, but can see that the school has some difficult problems to
> solve. It appears that they've chosen a mechanical approach that
> provides no room for individual judgement, probably because decisions
> based on judgement are more vulnerable to attack in the legal system.
>
> --
> Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
> mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO
> Tired old music Laurel; Chirurgeon; SCAdian since AS XI

"Prudentia Prius Viris" - Wisdom Before War