[Namron] Official or not (it's merely pining for the fjords)

Craig Pharaoh sherdana at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 26 18:16:46 PST 2006

Hi Duncan, (and any neo-e-Luddites out there who somehow are forced to see
these emails),  I would rather have an email than a telephone call any day!
With email it's hard for people to forget what they were saying, and I don't
have to worry about whether or not I understood them, but since I have
hearing and memory problems, that is my choice.  You can leave an email,
with a note to reply when the email is received, and if you don't get a
reply, send it again, or try and find out why there is no reply.  I can save
emails for years, and remind myself who wrote what and when, and rediscover
good ideas and questions, or find out what happened in Norman or Berlin or
whatever, even if I couldn't physically meet with my friends.

For information like directions to a new meeting place, addresses, or
heraldric information, email is much better in my opinion, and no matter
what time of the day or night I am finally able to be connected, I can read
the accumulated messages.  That beats the heck out of getting a busy signal,
or having to worry about being out of range of cell phone towers.  A Call
Tree/ Phone Tree works great for meeting cancellations, and immediate
priority messages, if you have a cell phone, but most regular announcements
that are made on the internet, (along with a synopsis of important business)
can be easily shared here.

There is no reason that inportant topics brought up or discussed at an
Official meeting can't be posted online, and since the "Plume" is a free
publication, the rules from the SCA seem to infer that it may also be put
online, if you make sure to get releases from the contributors.  In fact,
the laws of Oklahoma seem to state that any NP organization that has a
meeting should post the minutes of the meeting somewhere for the general
public to view, if they want to continue to have tax exemptions....  I'm not
sure how we manage to avoid that, maybe noone ever complained.

Bad health, bad roads, distance, family, financial considerations and work
conflicts are all a fine reason for missing any meeting, real life should
come first.  This is still a "game".  The internet newsgroup is considered
just as official as the various sub-kingdom newsletters, none of which are
"corporate publications of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc." and
could be used to convey relevant local information.   While we are playing
pre-AD1601, we are doing it in the 21st century, and I would hope that we
would use all forms of communication that would make it easier for people to
get the information about events, meeting times, and anything else that
enhances the "dream".

Caius Fabius
retired businessman, teacher and soldier
ex-member of the BoD of some Oklahoma based NPOs.
SCA dreamer