[Namron] In need of Medieval Recipe(s) -- main course and dessert

Grimmie ldgrimhun at cox.net
Sun Jan 8 15:01:27 PST 2006

Or maby
Vegetarian a Haggis?
6 medium unpeeled onions, trimmed
        50g sunflower margarine
        50g organic rolled oats
        50g pinhead oatmeal
        50g chopped mixed nuts
        1 onion, finely chopped
        100g mushrooms, finely chopped
        1 carrot, finely chopped
        200g can red kidney beans, drained and chopped
        50g vegetable suet
        1 teaspoon yeast extract
        1 teaspoon ground black pepper
        2 tbs. chopped mixed fresh herbs
        pinch of grated nutmeg
        juice of 1 lime
        1 tbs. whisky
        seasoning
        chopped fresh chives and parsley, to garnish
Cut a slither from the bottom of each of the onions, so that they stand
upright. Cut a cross in the top about three quarters of the way down. Place
in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15
minutes, drain and refresh under cold water.
 Preheat the oven to 190C (375F). To make the haggis, melt the margarine in
a pan and add the oats, oatmeal and nuts. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring,
for about 3 minutes until toasted and golden. Transfer to a bowl.
 Melt remaining margarine, add the onion, mushrooms and carrot and cook
gently for 5 minutes until softened. Stir into the toasted oat mixture with
the remaining haggis ingredients. Season.
 Snip out the center of the onions with kitchen scissors, leaving the skin
and 3-4 outer layers intact. Stuff with haggis and bake for 40 minutes.
 Serves 6.

Vegetarian Haggis?
ROFLMAO
Grimmie